Recipes for babka have become more and more popular in recent years. We have adapted this indulgent and comforting bakery treat in our own Fourmi Bionique style!
What is babka?
Babka is a yeasted, marbled brioche bread that is traditionally made at Easter. Chocolate babka is traditional in Jewish communities from Eastern Europe. Usually, babka is made in a long braid that is folded or rolled in a rectangular loaf pan and filled with cinnamon or chocolate.
The word “Babka” means “grandmother” in many Slavic languages, and the pleats in the coiled bread are meant to resemble the pleats of a skirt. The traditional babka recipe starts with an enriched dough with butter and eggs, like a brioche.
Tender, aromatic babka is a perfect treat for breakfast or for a snack.
Here’s how you make Chocolate and Granola Babka?
Estimated preparation time: 2 hours
Ingredients for the dough:
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 ½ cups white flour
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
Ingredients for the filling:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips Organic Dark Chocolate
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar Organic gluten free coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. corn syrup
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup of Euphoric Grand Granola
Preparing your Babka
- Pour the warm milk into a bowl and add the yeast: let sit for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, the salt and the cinnamon, then make a well in the centre.
- Add the milk-yeast mixture, the syrup, and the eggs and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the butter and continue to mix until you have a smooth, sticky dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap before refrigerating overnight.
- The next day, it should have doubled in volume.
- Melt the chocolate and the butter together in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the granola, and mix until smooth
- Let cool. Meanwhile, roll the babka dough out on a floured surface, shaping it into a rectangle of 8 inches by 20 inches.
- Spread the chocolate on top of the dough and scatter Euphoric Grand Granola on top.
- Tightly roll up the dough lengthwise, then cut the roll in half lengthwise.
- Take the two halves and braid them together.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, place the braided dough inside, and cover with a damp cloth.
- Let rise for one hour or until doubled in size.
- Prior to baking, brush the surface with an egg beaten with a tablespoon of water.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F.
- Make sure to let the babka cool before cutting it!!!
Note: The dough will be easier to handle if you prepare it in advance and refrigerate it overnight.